Monday, August 27, 2012

When Weight Loss Gets Tough!


Today I just didn't feel like working out. Oh no! A PERSONAL TRAINER didn't feel like exercising? Yeah, yeah... We're human too. :) But seriously I just didn't feel like working out, at all! But I knew that yesterday, when I was supposed to have done the workout, I didn't. I knew I had to suck it up and get to it or the results wouldn't ever show their pretty little face.

So I figured I'd at least get a few quick sets of squats in and see how it goes. I started warming up by doing a few reps with the bar to get blood flowing and to get loosened up. After lifting 135 and 185 for a few reps each I did some more mobility stuff until I felt the right muscles were warm and I had optimal range of motion. Then I got 225 without the weightlifting belt and it felt pretty good. So I went for 275. Great. Then I put the belt on and hit 295 for 1 rep. Then 315 for 1 rep. Now my previous max was 315 pounds for 1 repetition, so I was feeling pretty good and surprised that it felt relatively "light." Especially compared to my eye popping effort that last time I tried. I was very optimistic so I went for 325 pounds and instead of doing 1 rep I did 3! I was blown away! This was NOT the typical training session. In fact, for the last few months I had been stuck around 300.

This story is not meant to "toot my own horn," but to illustrate that there are ups and downs in any exercise regimen just like in life. Sometimes life happens and you need to easy up a little. On the other hand, life may be going wonderfully! Your stress is down, sleep is good, nutrition is right on, so you push a little harder.

Obviously, along with this ebb and flow, results fluctuate. Your goal may not be to lift a house. If your goal is weight loss, you may start a program and lose five pounds the first week. The second week you only lose two pounds. For the next few months you may lose about one pound per week. Now through the weeks you had your ups and downs. One week you may lose 3 pounds then next you gain back one. I've even seen people fluctuate as much as five pounds in one day! Granted that is more food and water weight. Other people are like clock work and they can expect one or two pounds lose per week. Even day-to-day they lose about the same every day.

The point of this article is to take some weight off your shoulders and encourage you. Goals aren't reached overnight. If they are, you're probably not challenging yourself enough. 

Life has it's ups and downs, so don't get discouraged. Roll with the punches. If you're having a tough time reaching your goals, take a step back and analyze what you are doing. What are the barriers keeping you from reaching your goals? What are your weaknesses? How can you change them? 

In life and especially in fitness, the successful are those who stuck with it. They went through the war zone and the tough times, but they held in there and now they're enjoying the rewards! Don't give up! Find support and buckle down! You CAN do it!

"...suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope." (Excerpt from Romans 5:3-4 NIV)



No comments:

Post a Comment